The Cap Blanc Shelter presents one of the most beautiful friezes of Magdalenian prehistoric sculpture.
In 1908 Raymond Peyrille reported the discovery of the Cap Blanc shelter to G. Lalanne (a doctor from Bordeaux sponsoring the research). While working on the Lausel site, R. Peyrille noticed the presence of a cavity at the bottom of a cliff. Work clearing the cavity began in September 1909.
The workers uncovered two different archaeological layers. A 15-meter long shelter slowly appeared as the levelling work went on, delivering sculptures and bits of paintings. A human skeleton was also exhumed at the base of the shelter wall.